Sunday 3 April 2011

Viewers' Advisory and Staff Training Part 2

As I mentioned in my previous post, training is key to good VA service.

If you have staff who do not watch television and movies, how do you given them the tools to do VA?

Despite the move to online resources, I refer staff as a first step to what I call the 'bible' of VA - Video Hound.  With the comprehensive synopsis of movies and indexes to actors, directors and movies by theme, this reference book is easy to use and similar to RA resources.  For example, if a patron asks about a movie that stars Paul Newman and can't remember the exact name, a review of the actor's movies under his name often will identify the right movie.

I also find that Video Hound is a good resource during those party debates on actors and movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment